June 4, 2009

how could i forget?

I don't know about y'all - but I feel like a total ass.

Today is the 90th anniversary (did I do that math right?) of the passing of the 19th Amendment. Raise the roof! What what! Indeed! For those of you out there that tried your hardest to stay stoned all four to six years of high school rather than learn American Government (guilty) - homegirls were allowed to vote. Holler at that.

Normally I wouldn't shout out this topic or any topic about like real life things but - what kind of feminist would I be without any mention of this hist
oric event? Exactly - a shitty one. Had I not made a reference to this oversight, coupled with the fact that I am heterosexual, know how to use a razor and wouldn't dream of burning anything down - especially high-priced undergarments would have been the end for me. I'd have to take the "God is coming and SHE IS PISSED" bumper sticker off my Subaru post haste. Thank heavens I remembered.

In all seriousness though, I first learned about suffrage from my favorite movie as a child - "Mary Poppins" - and the American Girls series. As a child, I thought that was how all women's rights suffragists looked. As soon as I was reading 5 grade levels above did I see my first picture of Lucretia Scott. Holy fuck. Yikes. I'd take Ms. Banks any-fucking-day. For those of you with parents who favored a more interactive childhood (i.e. your parents spent time with you/you couldn't afford a VCR - or worse, the Disney Channel) Mrs. George Banks (Winnie for short) is adorable. How could they not afford women the right to vote? And even though Mr. Banks, George Banks to be specific, frowns upon the cause - you KNOW he's going to come around as soon as he's done flying that kite made of paper and string.


I know all the words to the movie; but some of my favorite occur when Winifred sings her world famous song "Sister Suffragettes" - First off, the song is truth, no doubt about it. She starts off - “Although we love men individually, we agree that as a group they’re rather stupid”. That bitch must have had a crystal ball, in addition to being wise beyond her years - I wish I had some anti-man joke about screwing in a light bulb, but I don't so, you'll have to do with with out.

And later in the song she proclaims: "Our daughters' daughters will adore us and they'll sing in grateful chorus, "Well done, sister suffragettes." And I hope you do, ladies. I hope you do.

Anyway, this is getting far longer than I expected. Tonight - I propose everyone raise their glasses high - in honor of the American suffragists - Lucretia Mott, Elizabeth Cady Stanton (I'd call her Libby, just for kicks) & Suzie Anthony - you go girls. You are so welcome.

Even though none of you looked like women, you sure did knock it out of the park for women's rights.

No comments:

Post a Comment